Thursday, December 30, 2010

200th Post.

So it's my 200th post, and it's the end of 2010.
I'm feeling nostalgic and teary-eyed.
I'm just overwhelmed by the life lessons I feel I've learned this week.

My great grandma's funeral, 103 years old, was held today. In her honor I wore red lipstick, a vintage black dress, and her pearls. Classy; just like her.
I once showed up to visit with her in a pair of worn out jeans, a hole in the knee. Man, did she give me a hard time about that one. There were squinting eyes and gospel questions all through that visit, questioning my testimony and integrity.
She is a riot.

I love her. And I am so happy she is up with my grandmother.
Those two were something special, something respectable.

Whenever I go to a funeral I like to think about what people would say about me at my funeral. This week I've truly realized that I want to live my life to become a lady. My dad told me: 'The wild and extravagant women will attract boys, but a lady will attract a man."

My beautiful grandmother, Shari. I never met her, but I feel like she is my best friend. She was special, she was a trooper, and she loved so intensely and so fiercely. I would adore being even close to what she was being some day. I feel like my relationship with her is so strong and I can't wait to see her. I just yearn to know her.

My siblings. Together, we have the funnest times.
My great grandmother, 102 in this picture- beautifully elegant with her fourth husband, George. Wasn't she a beauty?

My loving parents. Knowing that they love each other is what keeps my family together.

My dad and his brothers. My Uncle David, in the middle, passed away two summers ago. What a legacy he left.

My sweet red headed aunts. Their laughter and their cheer amazes me and I am so jealous of their bond. I hope my sisters and I are like this when we're older.

This is just my Dad's side, my mom's side is amazing as well. But I just wanted to share the impact that they've left on me for the rest of my life. These people really know how to live and to love.

It's what life is about.

This post may have been very cliche and very average. But they're my family and no one can ever take that away from me. They're mine, and they're mine forever.

I am done taking life seriously. I am just going to be. :]
This year has brought a lot of firsts and a lot of new things.
I'm ready to learn from those things. They've made me stronger, happier, more sarcastic, and more me.
Thanks 2010.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that line,
'The wild and extravagant women will attract boys, but a lady will attract a man."
It seems like the kind of lesson I should learn. I think it's a shame you had to go to a funeral at the end of the year. Well at all actually.

Nicole said...

ok i love your blog it is totally cute.

Laura Em said...

y'all are so nice. :]
xox