Monday, August 16, 2010

I'mma Cynic. So Sue Me.

Tonight I watched a young couple come into my work. They were holding hands, and as I continued to watch them, I realized I was mentally having a conversation with the girl.
"He will hurt you. I promise he will. He will let you think that you mean the world to him.
You don't."


Since when did I become such a cynic to love? Well, since I've watched it fail over and over again. Miserably.
Yes, I have seen it work out. With my parents. And family members. That's about it.
I realized that having been crushed by guy after guy has done damage to my mental view of
love.
Not just normal crushing. But cheating and lying.
Love is a wonderful, beautiful thing. I still believe in love.... Don't I?


Every time I see a couple in public, even if they aren't all over each other, I automatically think the worst. "He's cheating on you." "He doesn't even love you anymore." "He's using you."
A friend was telling me about his first kiss the other day when he said "But I don't want to do it too much. I want to keep it special." My automatic thought was "Yeah right."

I really do WANT to believe in love. I'm so grateful for aunts and uncles, and my mother and my father. For showing me what true love is.

I'm gonna work on this whole "believing in love" thing.
And I'm grateful to the genuinely good guys out there. Treat your women right.
K??? K.

Thanks for listening to my random cynical-ness.
Loves. Laura.

5 comments:

Taylor Ashley said...

there really are some truly genuine guys out there just harder to find ! but i know what you mean, sometimes it takes getting hurt to become a little more careful who you trust and how far you put your self out there, but not all love is fake ! so again dont be too cynical[: wonderful post !! and yes ha i do live in utah, does that mean you do too ??

Laura Em said...

Heck yes. Utah is the way to go.
I know.. Bleh. Love is for older people (:

Anonymous said...

You are so young! How can you possibly have failed so much with love, girl? Live a little and stop being such a drama queen, you'll miss out on real life.

Anonymous said...

How old are you? How many boys have you loved?

Laura Em said...

I haven't loved ANY. That's the point. Love pretty much doesn't exist until you're old enough to experience it.
I'm not being dramatic, it's MY opinion. Wasn't saying they were facts. Spazzes of the world...